Irregular 2mm

Bob Blanchett
Administrator
Gidday all,

I was drawn to the Pz8 concept when I decided to build 2mm forces so I could carry a game in a biscuit tin.. (illness meant I couldn't carry around 15mm horse and musket armies and their impedimenta anymore!)

So I bought two Irregular Miniatures army packs (Prussian and Austrian SYW) from Eureka Miniatures here in Melbourne.

I _could_ simply use the same rules as I have been (Maurice, Might and Reason)  likely with some opponents I will, but I wanted also to find a very simple set proportional to a biscuit tin and discovered the wonderful Pz8 concept.

And that someone had done a pre-napoleonic set - "Cuirassier"

Thank the maker.. my eyesight gave me simple rules!

Re: Irregular 2mm

sam_acw
Administrator
I always get torn between huge bases and little ones.
I'm tempted to do One Hour Wargames style armies with someething like 8 bases of 60x30 mm 2mm.It would represent a whole army for most pre-modern periods and could represent higher level formations in the 19th and 20th centuries with a little range tweaking.

Re: Irregular 2mm

sam_acw
Administrator
I was basing up some 2mm I've had for years today, and have come to the realisation that I'm never going to do much with them. They just don't look good to me, or interest me in painting them.
I might paint up the ones I based, just to see if things improve but it's really not grabbing me. Perhaps that's why they've been in a box for aeons.

At least with 6mm I can tell what things are meant to be, but these have got me down.

Re: Irregular 2mm

Manycubes
Administrator
I was never impressed with the 2mm minis I saw on display.

I have purchased and am impressed with 3mm minis.

I have also followed the progress of GHQ "6mm" minis from the late 70's until now and the detail (which was already amazing) has vastly improved.

I imagine 2mm could benefit from modern tooling but would it be cost effective?

Re: Irregular 2mm

sam_acw
Administrator
You are probably right about the tooling, Irregular have a very variable quality.

Re: Irregular 2mm

Bob Blanchett
Administrator
I have a pair of Irregular H&M armies for syw.. but 3d printing is
seeing a renaissance of 2mm

The adjustment people need to make is in the perspective..
you're fighting at semi-operational scale.. it is in some ways a map
battle ala Kriegspiele..

you identify units primarily by their formation on a base or what
terrain you put on it often as a mini-diorama.

Colour wise ACW armies are easy to tell apart as are say SYW
protagonists.. but it isn't block colour  it's dots and MASS you feel
like you're looking at a swarm especially ancients where a few people
have scratchbuilt some lovely flowing warband and light cav formations

http://sidneyroundwood.blogspot.com/2016/06/thirty-years-war-in-2mm-update.html?m=1
http://sidneyroundwood.blogspot.com/2016/07/painting-tips-for-2mm-figures-and-armies.html
https://battleforbreakfast.wordpress.com/category/2mm-ancients/
https://forwardmarchstudios.com/

People have been experimenting with a slight scale-up of the FMS
models and they paint up spectacularly..

Forward  March studios have put out over 200 models so far and there
is no sign he's going to stop. USD15 for a perpetual license to the
library.

some people put dorsal labels on their bases but they do distract..
The smart option is to colour them differently, use distinct terrain ..
form the troops differently on the base according to type..

For horse and musket use large flags for the scale
I'm going to base them on 3mm mdf  and put an identifying code oon the *edge*

here's a good example of 2mm syw austrians
http://nikharwood.blogspot.com/2013/04/2mm-syw-austrians-for-maurice.html
http://nikharwood.blogspot.com/search/label/2mm
these are irregular.. the 2mm prints FMS do scrub up even better

FMS have done 2mm blocks like Irregular.. but theu=y then experimented
with distinct figures, then "2.5mm" (which drew much oohs and aahs
when painted)

Zach designed these do do battles at 1:1 in 2mm but most players I
know in that scale abstract back to regiment/Btn as the smallest
modelled/based unit

---
Robert Blanchett
+61 (0)403 911 552

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 23:00, sam_acw [via Pz8]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are probably right about the tooling, Irregular have a very variable quality.

> NAML

Re: Irregular 2mm

Bob Blanchett
oh and tinytintroops is the mecca along with Sidney Roundwood and Mark
Backhouse for 2mm
http://www.tinytintroops.co.uk/Res/2mm/2mm_dba_original_new.htm
---
Robert Blanchett